Brest Regional Museum of Local Lore is one of the youngest regional museums in Belarus.
The museum was opened in 1950 and includes the Museums of Salvaged Artistic Values representing works of art and antiques, the Berestye Archaeological Museum, the Art Museum and the Kamenets Tower, a unique monument to the ancient Russian defence architecture of the 13th century.
The exposition of the Museum of Local Lore is represented by more than 160 thousand museum items divided into 20 collections including archeological, ethnographic, numismatic, decorative and applied art, painting, graphics, etc. The pride of the museum is the division of nature which contains a large amount of information about natural resources of Brest region, on the protection of the environment.
The Archaeological Museum "Berestye" is a branch of the Brest Regional Museum of Local Lore.
The unique museum in Belarus was opened in 1982 and is a pavilion in the center of which there is an excavation area of 1118 m² of the ancient settlement of the ancient Brest. At a depth of 4 meters there is a part of the craft quarter – 28 wooden houses and outbuildings of the 13th century, street pavements, fences, remains of adobe stoves. The exposed part of the detinets (stronghold) is a handicraft quarter.
Here rare and interesting findings out of ferrous metal among them razors which are the only ones on the territory of Belarus, were found
Also in the museum various housewares (pots, jugs, bowls, frying pans, scoops) as well as a variety of tools: an ax, an adze, a chisel, a scraper, a drill, a knife, a cutter etc.) are exhibited.
The Winter Garden is an educational and methodical complex of the Pushkin State University. The garden is divided into three climatic zones: the tropics, subtropics and deserts.
For each zone a distinctive climate and soil is maintained which allows growing the corresponding plants. In the tropics you can admire ferns and orchids, in the subtropics you can see the trees of lemons and pomegranates, and in the desert there is a good collection of Haworthia, Gasteria, Agave, spurges and various cacti.
Brest, Mickiewicz Str. 28/1 (Brest A.S.PushkinState University)
The Museum of Salvaged Artistic Values is part of the Museum of Local Lore and is open to visitors since 1989. This is the only museum in the country representing works of art and antiques confiscated by customs officers at attempt of their illegal export abroad.
The exposition of the museum is located in 10 rooms in the building-monument of architecture built in 1925–1927. Here you can see a collection of Russian icons of the XVI– early XX century, Rostov enamel, jewelry of the world famous Faberge company. The hall of Oriental art presents traditional Japanese batik, Chinese vases, Japanese faience, Buddhist sculptures of the late XIX – early XX century. The pearl of the drawing room is the sketch of M. Vrubel to his painting "Demon Defeated". A significant part of museum items primarily icons and paintings requires restoration.
Brest, LeninStr.; 224030
The museum dedicated to railways and railway equipment was opened in Brest in 2002. The initiative to open the museum belongs to the veteran of labour, the eminent railwayman, the first director of the museum Arkady Privetenia.
The museum is a collection of 68 samples of full-scale railway equipment in the open air on three exhibition railway tracksof 1,2 km long. A characteristic feature of the museum is that all exhibits including locomotives of the prewar, military and post-war generations as well as locomotives and wagons are in working condition which allows them to be used for sightseeing trips and filming.
Brest, Masherov Ave. 2
The Museum of the History of the City of Brest opened its doors in 1998 in a building built in 1922, but the idea of creating the museum existed in the pre-war time and assumed the museum's location in the premises of the Kholm Gate of the Brest Fortress. At that time the teacher of geography V.Mondalsky and the officer of the fortress garrison T. Zhuk-Rybitsky began to collect material for the museum and the local historian M.Alekseyuk wrote a monograph "History of Brest".
Today in the permanent exposition of the Museum of History of Brest there are more than 800 exhibits that tell about the history of the city from its foundation in 1019 to 1939.
The Museum of Defence of the Brest Fortress was opened in 1956 in the defensive barracks of the fortress which is the monument of architecture of the late XIX century.
The basis for the creation of the museum was a room-museum which was opened a few months earlier on the ground floor of the barracks of the engineer battalion of the 128th Rifle Corps where before that the room of the Battle Glory was opened. Objects of excavation, material on defence of the fortress were demonstrated here. In the future the exposition of the museum was replenished with historical items from Moscow and Leningrad.
Today, the exhibition halls occupy an area of 1000 m², on the 1st floor of the museum there is an exhibition of portraits of defenders of the fortress, paintings and sketches of the artist P.Durchin.
Brest, Brest Fortress
The Art Museum is a branch of the Museum of Local Lore and carries out educational activities since 2002 in the building of the southern barracks of the Brest Fortress.
The exposition of the museum is represented by a collection of fine and decorative and applied art on the basis of exhibits of the Brest Regional Museum of Local Lore. In 10 exposition halls the works of artists of the XX – beginning of the XXI century are presented, three halls are devoted to painting and sculpture, separate works are devoted to graphic art, decorative and applied art.
Folk art is also widely covered: we can see works of weaving and embroidery, pottery, straw and osier weaving, painting on wood and glass, artistic processing of wood, works of amateur artists.
The museum was opened on June 22, 2014 in the south-eastern barracks of the Brest Fortress (not far from the monument "Thirst")
In eight halls there are exhibits from the funds of the museum of the fortress. A distinctive feature of the exposition is the use of modern technologies.
In addition to museum items which number more than two thousand you can look through the e-book of memory, get interesting information through an interactive screen, walk through the three-arch gates under the starry sky.
The fifth fort (fort V) was built in 1878 - 1888, modernized in 1908 - 1911. Located 4 km south-west of the Brest Fortress in the Gershony neighborhood of Brest.
Occupies an area of 0.79 km2. The fifth fort was one of the defensive objects of the Brest-Litovsk fortress of the first line. The fort has a pentagonal shape. It was erected from a brick, surrounded by an earth rampart, a moat filled with water. In the rear part a barracks for the garrison numbering eleven casemates.
In the frontal part there was a front caponier (a fortification structure capable of conducting fire in two opposite directions) for six guns connected with the barracks by the underground corridor linking various fort buildings with each other.
Brest (village of Gershony), Starodorozhnaya Str. 99